Makeup has existed for thousands of years; well, a form of makeup that is. In ancient times tar, lead and an array of other elements we wouldn’t dare put on our skin today, beautified women all over the world. Now we’re much more conscious about what we put on our skin, but as ingredients have changed and trends evolved throughout history, one thing has stayed consistent – women love how wearing makeup allows them to feel gorgeous, powerful, and sometimes even chameleon-like. As the cosmetics industry has grown substantially over the last 100 years, the amount of absolutely astonishing facts have also piled up. I frequently share how to use the industry’s best products to create many looks, but I thought today I’d share statistics and facts about makeup that may just blow your mind.
1. The first nail polish was invented in China in 3000 B.C. Unlike the formula today, the original version was a mixture of beeswax, gum, egg whites and colored powder.
2. During Cleopatra’s reign, she would soak the sails of her ships in perfume so the scent would drift to Rome before her arrival. Between this and statement eyes, she truly represented Egyptian queen beauty.
3. In the 18th century, England almost passed a law that allowed men to divorce their wives if they caught them wearing makeup. Can you even imagine that today?
4. Every year there are close to 900 million lipsticks sold worldwide. That means almost every single person in the United States could own three tubes of lipstick!
5. Neon nail polish is illegal in the United States. While many brands tout neon shades, their colors do not possess the true neon colorant. Neon within nail polish is not approved by the FDA, thus you’re most likely to find a real neon nail polish in other countries.
6. The first mascara was created by Eugene Rimmel in the 19th century. Ironically, the word Rimmel closely translates to mascara in many languages, while the word mascara means mask or stain in Spanish, Portuguese and Italian.
7. Some laws never get tossed out no matter how outdated and absurd. In order for a woman to wear makeup in Morrisville, Pennsylvania she must get a permit first. Luckily, no one is enforcing this law!